Student Organization Policies and Guidelines

If you have any questions about a particular policy, please contact your student organization's staff advisor, call the Center for Student Engagement front desk at 202-994-6555, or email [email protected]. Staff advisors are listed on each organization's OrgSync profile.

Student Organization Handbook

Refer to the Student Organization Handbook for a complete explanation of all policies and procedures related to student organizations at GW.


All contracts or agreements with parties external to GW must be approved by a student organization’s staff advisor and signed by the designated GW signatory. Students and staff other than the designated GW signatory are not permitted to sign contracts.  If your student organization is hosting a program with a vendor/performer, then a contract must be completed through the Center for Student Engagement. This process must be completed before advertising for the event. Complete the Contract Information Sheet (CIS) and submit it to your Student Organization Advisor. Students are not permitted to sign any external agreement under any circumstances.


Student organizations are permitted to request reimbursements for cost incurred for organizational business. Student organizations should avoid reimbursements whenever possible. It can take up to 6-8 weeks for money to be credited back to the spender's account. Student organizations should speak with their advisor about alternative methods of payments, most notably utilizing the GW credit card or taking out petty cash. Our financial team is happy to think creatively with an organization about alternatives to reimbursement. If a reimbursement is necessary, the request must be accompanied by a fully itemized receipt that is less than 30 days old. Requests for reimbursements should be submitted via OrgSync.

Travel Forms

Student organizations must register all organizational travel outside of the Washington, DC I-495 Beltway. Student organizations that fail to register organizational travel risk their registration status and forfeit any and all use of organizational funds for travel costs or reimbursement of travel costs. Organizations must complete the Travel Registration form on OrgSync in advance of their trip. 

Student Organization Domestic Travel: Student organizations traveling within the U.S. should complete the travel registration form on OrgSync. Ensure that the travel participation waiver is completely filled out prior to beginning the form. All students traveling must provide a signature and emergency contact on the Travel Particpation Waiver

Student Org International Travel Application: A submitted and fully approved application is required for student organizations traveling abroad - this includes organizations traveling together as a group as well as individual travel that is affiliated with or through a student organization. Organizations traveling as a group (same travel arrangements and itinerary) should designate a point of contact to submit one application on behalf of the organization. Once that application is approved, each traveling member will be added to the application and notified of additional steps via email. When completing the application for international travel, please take time to review the security and safety profile and provide thorough risk mitigation plans, even for areas of low to moderate risk (n/a is not an acceptable response).  

Please do not make travel arrangements until your application has been approved. The deadline to submit applications for student organizations wishing to travel internationally over winter break is November 15, 2017. The deadline for student organizations wishing to travel internationally over spring break is January 30, 2018. The deadline for student organizations wishing to travel abroad over the summer break is May 15, 2018. All applications for international travel affiliated with a student organization must be completed through this specific link

Student Driver Guidelines: Please note that any student driving any vehicle on behalf of the University or for a University event must be an authorized driver (see driver authorization application below). Please also review the Motor Vehicle Safety Policy and the Student Driver Guidelines. Per University regulations, each student driver is approved to drive a maximum of 250 miles at a time.  Traveling in excess of 250 miles requires a change of drivers. If an organization is driving in excess of 500 miles round trip, an overnight stay is required. 

We strongly discourage students from using their personal vehicles (including ZipCar) for GW business. For students driving their own personal vehicles on GW business, there is no coverage offered by GW, i.e. no coverage for physical damage and no coverage for liability. The student would need to seek coverage from his or her personal insurance company. In no event will GW's automobile insurance policy respond to any vehicles that are driven by a student that are not owned, leased or rented by GW. 

Driver Authorization Application:  This form shall be completed by persons who may, for any reason, need to drive a University owned vehicle, or a vehicle leased or rented for the purpose of transporting passengers, regardless of their status as an employee (e.g., faculty, staff, etc.), student, student-employee or volunteer. Students should send the completed form, along with a photo/scan of their drivers license to their organization's staff advisor. Organization staff advisor must sign and will then submit on your behalf. Students should allow 10 business days to become an authorized driver.

Printing & Promotion

Approved Printing Vendors: Only approved vendors are permitted to print merchandise with the GW logo. 

GW Identity Guidelines: Any merchandise with the GW instutional mark (verbiage or logo) must follow these guidelines. 

Artwork Approval Form: All printed merchandise with the GW logo must be approved by the GW's Licensing and Tradmark Program before the vendor will print it. Submit your artwork for approval by LTP using this form. 

Postering & "Dorm Storm" Policy

University Calendar - Submit an Event

Student Association Printing